Monday, January 9, 2012

My tricks to de-clutter.............

Ideas to de-clutter without feeling like you are tossing your favorite items. This is what I do.........

I only do one room at a time, never try to do more than 1 as it will over whelm you.

I get 3 good size boxes (all different sizes), look around and how much you have to determine what sizes you may need.

I use the largest box for donating, the next largest for 30 day challenge and smallest box for keep.

at this point, I do not include clothing or closets. I do the same for clothing/closets but at a later time.

I start in one corner, the furthest away from the door. As I touch an item, I think of what use or what sentimental value in has for me, I choose a box to put it in and move on to the next without thinking about what's already in the box (at this point, things can still be taken out of each box if I change my mind later) My "keep" box are things I know I can not give up at this point.

I keep moving around the room until I have 1 full box, once one of the boxes are full, I stop the de-cluttering. This way I did not empty the room to a point where I'm feeling like I'm giving up way to much or keeping to much. I tape up the donate box and put it aside (never to be opened again by me), Tape up the 30 day box, write the date on it and the items in it, put it in the basement or someplace out of site. Someplace you won't see it on a regular basis. I close the keep box but don't tape it, I know these things are going back in the room at a later date. I find a corner to put it in and focus on the box to donate. I try to get the donate box out of the house ASAP and keep myself from opening it ever again, it can be hard not to, thus the importance of getting it of the house asap. I don't do any more de-cluttering until the donate box is gone.

I get another 3 boxes and continue with that same room, repeating the process.

Once the room is done, I take the "keep" boxes and another 2 empty boxes, one for keep and another for 30 day items. I sort through each box one at a time, often finding that some of the "keep" items are not so important now. Date and tape the 30 day box(es) and put them with the others.  I allow myself 2 keep boxes when it's all finished.

I take another empty box and a keep box and start returning things back to the room. As I return things, I have that empty box for things I want to keep but want in another room of the home.

Once the room is comfortable, the way I like it, anything left in keep box gets taped up with the date on it and put with my other 30 day boxes.
I do the clothes and closets as if they are separate rooms with the same process.
The 30 day boxes; Things I think I want to keep but know I could live without. If I do not open that box and take something out for 30 days (never opening it just to see what's in it). I never open it again (by now I most likely forgot what was in it). I mark it donate and get it out of the house ASAP.

Remember to only do one room at a time so you don't feel like you are giving up your life. Once a room is done, do your very best to follow the "one thing in, one thing out" rule.

If you're anything like me, you'll find that you like the look of less clutter and find that you are able to live with even less. If this is the case, repeat the process, it will be much easier the second time around.

I should also add that I let my adult children and some friends know I am doing donate boxes and they are allowed to take anything they want. With the 30 day boxes, if they want them, they have to take the whole box and be willing to donate the things they don't want in them. I do not let them pick and choose out of the 30 day boxes. All that will do is allow me to remember what's in them.

Good luck and happy de-cluttering...

No comments:

Post a Comment